Tuesday 3 March 2020

Chain of Gold - Cassandra Clare (NO SPOILERS)

Title - Chain of Gold
Author - Cassandra Clare 
Series - The Last Hours #1
Genre - YA Fantasy
ISBN - 978-1-4063-5809-4
Format - Hardback 
My Copy - Purchased 
Where you can find it - Goodreads - Amazon UK - Amazon US - Book Depository - Waterstones - Barnes & Noble - Indigo 




Chain of Gold is the first book in a new Shadowhunter series by the amazing Cassandra Clare, I honestly haven't been reading much recently but this was something I couldn't let pass me by, a thought occurred to me as I was on the bus going to buy this book, I started reading this series ten years ago, in 2010, and I'm still coming back for more. 

This book is in the same realm as the Infernal Devices series, but these characters hold their own, Cordelia, James, Lucie, Mathew, Thomas and many others have to do as many before them have and fight for the lives of their fellow Nephilim and also the mundanes, it shouldn't fall on their shoulders but they are willing to take not only the fall, but the risk as well. James and the gang must deal with hormones and demonic creatures that no one has ever encounter before, add in a dash of love and a lot of heartbreak and it spell for an amazing book.  


So I wasn't too sure at first about this book because even though the family tree in the back of the Clockwork Princess is known to be false in parts I kind of liked the way it was, without giving out any spoilers, so far there are two things that I can say is wrong. I have lots of feelings about this that I will get into when I post my spoiler review but for right now all I'm going to say is that don't take the deaths or marriages to heart, because I'm guessing most of it will change. 

Character wise, I really enjoyed reading from Cordelia's POV, and James' POV as well, I feel like Lucie's was there to give you certain aspects of the story but I wasn't as in to them as the others, there is something about Cordelia that reminds me of lots of 'modern' Shadowhunter characters she is selfless and compared to some in the series that I won't name here, it's refreshing.

James was good, at first I was a bit annoyed at him but when I figured out what was wrong with him I realised that the icky feeling I was getting in the beginning was because I was realising that what was happening wasn't quite right, Again most of James' storyline is full of spoilers so I won't talk about him much here, but know that he is a worthy successor to Will, Jem, Jace, and all the men who came after him. 

This book is really hard to write about without giving out spoilers so I will not talk too much about the rest of the characters but I will say that the representation is phenomenal and Cassandra Clare has always been at the top of her game when it comes to representing the communities that don't get a lot of representation and even in a book where it's set in a time where it's not particularly accepted. I can't wait to see where this series is headed, and as of right now the next book is set to be released in March of 2021 so I cannot wait for it. 

So to wrap up, even if you haven't read any of the Shadowhunter series, you could still enjoy this book, there will be things referenced but it isn't mandatory to understand what's going on. It's a really good read and one I am glad to have read. 


SPOILER REVIEW COMING SOON 

No comments:

Post a Comment